Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] sequencer: beautify subject of reverts of reverts

From: Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 21:10:29 +0200

On Mon, May 01, 2023 at 09:44:06AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> but i don't get the argument anyway. i think the docu is pretty
>> pointless except to emphasize that the generated subject is a default
>> that should be edited when circumstances recommend it. in fact, i
>> wouldn't mind writing just that, with a notice that the default
>> attempts to be somewhat natural for repeated reverts.
>
>I think it is very well known that the user gets the default message
>to be edited in the editor.  I would understand if the instruction
>is "do not edit this line, because ...", but otherwise it is pretty
>up to the user to do whatever they like to the log message, no?
>
well, yeah. but not everybody seems to get that editing the title 
specifically is actually an acceptable thing to do - see my earlier 
messages in the other sub-thread. so i'd go with something like:

   Git attempts to make the subject of reverts of reverts somewhat 
   natural, but will inevitably fail at greater depths. Editing these 
   subjects is recommended.

also, this should be probably a note near the bottom, rather than being 
so close to the top. in fact, it's probably a good idea to add a 
DISCUSSION section with some basic guidelines, like git-commit has.

-- ossi