Subject: Re: [not even design notes yet] teaching rerere to remember removal?

From: Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 09:51:29 +0200

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 03:18:02PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>So I am wondering what should be used as the record of "if the other
>branch made this change, we have seen this conflict already, and we
>know it is safe to resolve it to remove the path".
>
i suppose i may be missing the obvious, but why not just treat the 
removal as a full diff (like a traditional patch would do) and remember 
the resolution accordingly like any other conflict?

the key to making this useful is presenting followup conflicts in a 
sensible way that highlights where they actually are, but that would be 
useful regardless - i often run into this while rebasing, where finding 
that one line that i added to a bigger section that was (re-)moved 
requires so much attention that i instead look at the original patch 
rather than the conflict to see what it was. (note that i'm using diff3 
markers.)

regards,
ossi