Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/16] refs: implement jump lists for packed backend

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 09:01:10 +0200

On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 03:23:07PM -0400, Taylor Blau wrote:
> Here is a reroll of my series to implement jump (née skip) lists for the
> packed refs backend.
> 
> Not a ton has changed since last time, but some notable things that have
> changed include:
> 
>   - Renaming "skip lists" to "jump lists" to clarify that this
>     implementation does not use the skip list data structure.
>   - Patch reorganization, splitting out `find_reference_location_end()`
>     more sensibly, rewording patch messages, etc.
>   - Addresses feedback from Junio and Patrick Steinhardt's helpful
>     reviews.
> 
> As usual, a range-diff is included below for convenience.
> 
> Given that we are expecting -rc0 today, we should aim to not let review
> of this topic direct our attention away from testing the release
> candidates. We can get more serious about it on the other side of 2.41.
> 
> Thanks in advance for another look.

I didn't have many comments in this round. Personally though I'd split
up this patch series into two in order to land the individual parts
faster, where the first part introduces `git for-each-ref --exclude` and
the second part introduces the jump list for the packed-refs backend.

Each of these have merit on their own, and especially the first part
should require less discussion. Furthermore, by splitting it up the
review becomes easier to manage as 16 patches does require quite a long
attention span to handle.

Anyway, this is just a suggestion from my sided, please feel free to
ignore.

Patrick