Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add 'preserve' subcommand to 'git stash'

From: Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 10:39:11 +0200

On Fri, Jun 16, 2023 at 01:11:58PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>>Why a new subcommand, not a new option to "push"?  Adding a new
>>>subcommand would mean it would be another unfamiliar thing users
>>>need to learn, as opposed to a slight variation of what they are
>>>already familiar with.
>>>
>> to be fair, there's also `apply` and not `pop --keep`.
>
>I do not care all that much if that is fair, but I do not think it
>is a meaningful comparison.  "stash apply" is merely exposing the
>first half (the other half is "stash drop") of a two step operation
>that is "stash pop".
>
i may be totally wrong about it (because i don't understand the 
motivation behind this feature, either), but i think the _intent_ of 
nadav's patch is to merely expose the first half of "stash push" (the 
other half is the implicit "reset --hard"). it may not be a sufficiently 
good one, but there is clearly an analogy here.

regards,
ossi