Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/9] t/helper: add 'find-pack' test-tool

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 06:54:25 -0400

On Thu, Jun 15, 2023 at 04:32:35PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Christian Couder <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > In a following commit, we will make it possible to separate objects in
> > different packfiles depending on a filter.
> >
> > To make sure that the right objects are in the right packs, let's add a
> > new test-tool that can display which packfile(s) a given object is in.
>
> This tool would be serviceable if we only are interested in checking
> just a few objects, but if we were to check many objects, I have to
> wonder if it would be more efficient to use show-index to dump the
> list of objects per pack, which should be sorted by object name, so
> it should be trivial to run "comm" with the list of objects you want
> to check.

I was going to say the exact same thing. Even if we were checking many
objects, can't we dump the output of show-index to a file, and then grep
it repeatedly? Presumably these tests are working on repositories with
tens of objects, so I doubt it matters much either way.

If we do end up taking this approach to use the test-helper instead, the
implementation seems reasonable.

Thanks,
Taylor