Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] sequencer: rectify empty hint in call of require_clean_work_tree()

From: Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 13:24:27 +0200

On Wed, Aug 09, 2023 at 02:44:25PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>"git rebase" does not seem to start (i.e. does not perform "initial
>checkout") from a dirty working tree, with
>
>	error: cannot rebase: You have unstaged changes.
>	error: Please commit or stash them.
>
>at least from my quick attempt.  I am not sure if this is actually
>triggerble?
>
hmm, unless i'm missing something, it is apparently not ... currently.

it becomes actually relevant only after my "rebase: improve resumption 
from incorrect initial todo list" patch, which still needs reworking.

so there are several possibilities how to proceed with this:
- you merge it as a merely theoretical fix (adjust the commit message 
   yourself if saving the round-trip is more convenient for you)
- we postpone the change until it becomes not theoretical
- we make sure that the code really is not triggerable and delete it.  
   this would obviously introduce some churn, as i'll need to 
   re-introduce it. but then, i remember that something was wrong with it 
   anyway (i.e., it didn't actually trigger in some cases i expected it 
   to, but i haven't figured out yet why), so the new code would be 
   slightly different anyway.

regards