Subject: Re: [BUG] `git describe` doesn't traverse the graph in topological order

From: 'Ben Boeckel' <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 13:43:48 -0400

On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 19:35:01 +0200, Kristoffer Haugsbakk wrote:
> Looks related:
> 
> Link: https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/
> Message-ID: [email-masked]
> Via: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/72886894/git-describe-is-not-returning-the-expected-tag

Thanks. It seems that these discussions previously determined the same
(painful) pill:

SZEDER Gábor at https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/:

    I think the proper way to fix this issue would be to make 'git
    describe' traverse the history in topographical order.  Alas, I'm
    afraid this would result in a noticable performance penalty on big
    histories without a commit graph.

The `sleep 1` is probably the remedy we'll use if time to actually fix
this doesn't come up (or the "proper" fix is deemed as "too expensive").

Thanks for the links,

--Ben