Subject: Re: [REGRESSION] uninitialized value $address in git send-email

From: Bagas Sanjaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 18:00:01 +0700

On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 10:37:36AM -0400, Michael Strawbridge wrote:
> I suppose I may have mistook what issue was being reported.  I had
> originally understood the problem to be that hook related logic was
> failing with correct email addresses, but it seems rather that we are
> trying to fix an error that occurs when an email address that fails
> extract_valid_address_or_die() is given.  Feel free to ignore my last
> email if that is all we are trying to solve.
> 

Originally, I was intended to report regression on handling multiple
addresses passed in a single --to/--cc/--bcc option. Previously on Git v2.40,
git-send-email(1) accepts `--to="foo <[email-masked]>,bar <[email-masked]>"
as two separate --to addresses (with comma as separator). However, on
v2.41 and up, instead I got perl error as I reported in this thread.
Interestingly, that perl error can be reduced into one invalid addresses.
The same thing also happens to --cc and --bcc. I used aforementioned
trick when I was sending patches to LKML to save frin typing the same
option multiple times, each with different address.

If I need to send separate regression report for above use case,
please let me know.

-- 
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara