Subject: Re: [PATCH 03/10] merge: free result of repo_get_merge_bases()

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 13:42:00 -0400

On Tue, Oct 03, 2023 at 04:27:24PM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> We call repo_get_merge_bases(), which allocates a commit_list, but never
> free the result, causing a leak.
>
> The obvious solution is to free it, but we need to look at the contents
> of the first item to decide whether to leave the loop. One option is to
> free it in both code paths. But since the commit that the list points to
> is longer-lived than the list itself, we can just dereference it
> immediately, free the list, and then continue with the existing logic.
> This is about the same amount of code, but keeps the list management all
> in one place.
>
> This lets us mark a number of merge-related test scripts as leak-free.

Wow, getting 10 newly leak-free tests for half as many lines of code is
terrific. Woohoo!

Thanks,
Taylor