Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Sep 2023, #05; Fri, 15)

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 19:06:21 -0400

On Sun, Sep 24, 2023 at 09:59:00PM +0200, SZEDER Gábor wrote:
> Besides the issue of not reading Bloom filter for root commits, that
> message of mine also includes a test demonstrating that handling split
> commit graph with layers containing different versions of Bloom
> filters is broken.  That test still fails with the current version of
> this patch series, i.e. what is currently in seen.  Jonathan provided
> a patch that makes that test pass, and also noted that that test did
> pass with his original design:
>
>   https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

I am not sure whether you are pointing out an existing breakage which
remains unfixed, or pointing out a new bug introduced by this series. I
think that it is the former, but I wrote up some of my confusion in:

  https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

> I maintain that without test cases thoroughly covering the interaction
> of different Bloom filter versions with split commit graphs this
> series should not be merged.

Agreed. We should wait for the discussion in the linked thread to settle
before merging this down.

Thanks,
Taylor