Subject: Notes from the Git Contributor's Summit, 2023

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 11:15:14 -0400

It was great to see folks virtually last week at the Contributor's
Summit!

I took a couple of days off at the end of last week, but polished up the
notes we took during the Contributor's Summit to share with the list.

The notes are available (as read-only) in Google Docs, too, for folks
who prefer to view them there are the following link:

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GKoYtVhpdr_N2BAonYsxVTpPToP1CgCS9um0K7Gx9gQ

At the Contributor's Summit, we discussed the following topics:

  - Welcome / Conservancy Update (Taylor Blau)
  - Next-gen reference backends (Patrick Steinhardt)
  - Libification Goals and Progress (Emily Shaffer)
  - Designing a Makefile for multiple libraries (Calvin Wan)
  - Scaling Git from a forge's perspective (Taylor Blau)
  - Replacing git LFS using multiple promisor remotes (Christian Couder)
  - Clarifying backwards compatibility and when we break it (Emily Shaffer)
  - Authentication to new hosts without setup (M Hickford)
  - Update on jj, including at Google (Martin von Zweigbergk)
  - Code churn and cleanups (Calvin Wan)
  - Project management practices (Emily Shaffer)
  - Improving new contrib onboarding (Jonathan Nieder)

The list of all topics proposed (and the number of votes they received)
are here:

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EnhmTeEqRBlEI2pMAO3oZ4rO1xEwBzYp2vS4CMtvge8

I'll send the broken-out notes for each topic in a response to this
message for posterity, and so folks can continue the discussion on the
list.

Like last year, if you have any feedback on how the Contributor's Summit
went (especially as it relates to the virtual format we had this year),
please feel free to share it with me here, or off-list.

I hope to see everybody in person next year!

Thanks,
Taylor