Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH v2 0/6] Noobify format for status, add, restore

From: Jacob Stopak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 10:35:23 -0700

On Sat, Oct 28, 2023 at 06:20:41PM +0200, Dragan Simic wrote:
> > Hehe ok, maybe there is room in some hints to notify users of the
> > extended option...
> 
> I agree, there should be a well-placed hint, but we'd need to think really
> well where to place it, so we don't annoy experienced git users too much,
> while we also inform the less experienced users.

Yes, hmm, I wonder if maybe we could add the hint for the extended option
only in the case that the user uses the --verbose option either on the
command line or via the config setting. Since using the verbose option
tells us the user is asking for more details, that might be a good time
to inform them of the _even more detailed_ option, but of course that
hint could be disabled easily if they preferred the "basic" verbosity.

> > > > Any thoughts on what the section in the config for a more general
> > > > setting like this might be named?
> > > 
> > > Maybe "core.verbose"?  We already have "core.pager", which kind of
> > > affects the way all command outputs look like.
> > 
> > Ok! The idea of using "core" came to mind but I wasn't sure if that was
> > more for lower-level settings or more general things.
> 
> I also considered the "core" section to be reserved for the very low-level
> internal things, but having "core.pager" clearly allows other appropriate
> configuration options to be placed here.

Ok awesome!

> > Great. Thanks a lot for all the feedback. Let me doctor up the patch
> > series to take these things into account and submit an RFC v3 :D
> 
> Sounds good, thank you.  If you agree, I'll go ahead and implement support
> for a few "<command>.verbose" configuration options during the next week or
> so, and submit the patches.  I'll most probably come to some more important
> conclusions while implementing that, which I'll relay over, of course.

Yes I agree, that sounds great! Maybe I'll just wait then until seeing
your implementation of that before I poke around on mine more. Then I'll
apply your patches locally to add my extended option.