Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 0/5] Introduce -t, --table for status/add commands

From: Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 22:47:41 +0200

>On 2023-10-23 21:01, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> One thing that nobody seems to have raised that disturbs me is that
>> even though there may be educational value in having such a
>> "feature", having to carry the extra code to implement in Git incurs
>> extra cost.
>
that's the case for literally every feature. you're just noticing it  
here, because from your expert perspective it seems redundant with 
pre-existing functionality. so assuming that you actually care about 
newbie UX, you are at least not convinced that it would be a significant 
help.

i'm not totally convinced either, which is why i wrote of "valid 
experiment" upthread. but i don't think that measuring the actual impact 
is all that interesting unless the feature turns out to be actually 
excessively costly in the long run.

On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 09:04:49PM +0200, Dragan Simic wrote:
>That's exactly why I already wrote that the original author of the table 
>patches, if those would become accepted, should commit in advance to 
>maintaining that as the new git feature.
>
that's seems just a wee bit unfair (the bar isn't put that high for 
other features), and it's not realistically enforcable anyway.

regards