Subject: Re: [RESEND v2] git-rebase.txt: rewrite docu for fixup/squash (again)

From: Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 15:08:39 +0200

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 08:39:03AM -0400, Marc Branchaud wrote:
>On 2023-10-24 17:19, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>>>> +The commit message for the folded commit is the concatenation of 
>>>> the
>>>> +message of the first commit with those of commits identified by 
>>>> "squash"
>>>
>>> s/message of the first commit/picked commit's message/
>>>
>> that does indeed sound better, but i think it's more confusing (and 
>> potentially even more so when translated directly). i guess one could 
>> use "pick'd commit's", but that's kind of ugly again.
>
>Let the translators worry about how to phrase it in other languages.
>
my experience tells me that this isn't a good idea. translations are 
often done by people who have little domain knowledge of what they 
translate. it's a good idea to guide them.
also, the english text is often read by people who barely understand 
english, and will attempt literal translations in their head.

>In English "picked" is the right choice.
>
the squashed commits also fit the natural use of "picked", because 
"picking" means "selecting". it's not advisable to use this potentially 
ambiguous term when there is an unambiguous alternative way to identify 
the commit available.

>You should not presume that other languages will want to use the word 
>"pick" verbatim.
>
well, i actually should, because it's the command's own name, which 
definitely shouldn't be translated.

regards