Subject: Re: using oldest date when squashing commits

From: Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 15:26:10 +0200

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 09:20:04AM -0400, Marc Branchaud wrote:
>
>On 2023-10-27 08:45, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 08:34:40AM -0400, Marc Branchaud wrote:
>>> I never use "fixup -C" (or -c), but I do use squash/fixup a lot.  I 
>>> find that I would prefer it if Git used the most recent Author date 
>>> from the set of commits being combined, rather than preserving the 
>>> picked commit's Author date.
>>>
>> that would be unreliable, as plain amends wouldn't be reflected. that 
>> may be rare in your workflow, but still.
>
>I'm not talking about amends, plain or otherwise.
>
but why wouldn't you? your use case of marking the date of completion 
naturally covers all ways of amending commits, whether directly or via 
squashing.

regards