Subject: Re: using oldest date when squashing commits

From: Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 14:45:35 +0200

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 08:34:40AM -0400, Marc Branchaud wrote:
>I never use "fixup -C" (or -c), but I do use squash/fixup a lot.  I 
>find that I would prefer it if Git used the most recent Author date 
>from the set of commits being combined, rather than preserving the 
>picked commit's Author date.
>
that would be unreliable, as plain amends wouldn't be reflected. that 
may be rare in your workflow, but still.

>Sometimes it takes quite a while for me to get a piece of work sorted 
>out, and I would rather have the Author date in the end-result commit 
>reflect the work's completion time than its initiation time.
>
afaict, you need to get used to `--amend --reset-author` all commits 
before you push to achieve this reliably. that can be easily automated 
by using -x with rebase -i (filter-repo (ex filter-branch) would also 
work).

regards