Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 0/3] t: improve compatibility with NixOS

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 08:15:07 +0100

On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 09:10:23AM +0900, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Three changes compared to v3:
> >
> >     - Switched from `test <expr> -a <expr>` to `test <expr> && test
> >       <expr>`.
> >
> >     - Improved the commit message to explain why the new
> >       runtime-detected paths are only used as a fallback.
> >
> >     - Rebased on top of 0e3b67e2aa (ci: add support for GitLab CI,
> >       2023-11-09), which has been merged to `next` and caused conflicts.
> 
> Please, no.  "The other topic has been merged to 'next'" is *not* a
> good reason to do this.  Before that, the other topic was in 'seen'
> and causing conflicts already, so getting into 'next' did not create
> any new reason for rebasing.
> 
> I'll manage this time, but please do not do such a rebase unless you
> are asked to do so.  The rebase will force me to do (1) detach from
> 'next' and apply these, (2) discard the result and detach from the
> base of where the previous iteration is queued, (3) apply the new
> iteration with "am -3" to undo the rebase, before I can compare the
> new iteration with the old iteration.

Fair enough. I assumed that it would ease your workload instead of
creating more work for you. But I'll keep in mind that it doesn't and
refrain from doing this in the future.

> > Technically speaking this series also depends on 0763c3a2c4 (http:
> > update curl http/2 info matching for curl 8.3.0, 2023-09-15), without
> > which the tests will fail on NixOS machines with a recent libcurl.
> 
> Thanks for that note.  This topic has been queued on top of
> v2.43.0-rc1 which has 0763c3a2c4, so we'd be safe.
> 
> Will queue.

Thanks.

Patrick