Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] completion: refactor and support reftables backend

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 08:49:09 +0100

On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 12:24:02PM -0800, Stan Hu wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> This patch series refactors and updates git-completion.bash to become
> compatible with the upcoming reftables backend.

Hi Stan!

Disclaimer up front: I've already reviewed these patches internally at
GitLab.

Regarding the format of this patch submission: in the Git project we
typically use "shallow" threads, where every mail is a reply to the head
of the series (in this case the cover letter). You can configure these
by setting "format.thread=shallow" in your Git configuration.

That's an easy thing to miss though, as MyFirstContribution.txt doesn't
point this out at all. I wonder whether we want to amend it to say so?

Patrick

> Stan Hu (2):
>   completion: refactor existence checks for special refs
>   completion: stop checking for reference existence via `test -f`
> 
>  contrib/completion/git-completion.bash | 43 +++++++++++++++++++++++---
>  1 file changed, 38 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)
> 
> -- 
> 2.42.0
>