Subject: Re: ps/reftable-optimize-io (was: What's cooking in git.git (Jan 2024, #03; Tue, 9))

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 07:58:44 +0100

On Tue, Jan 09, 2024 at 04:17:26PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> * ps/reftable-optimize-io (2024-01-08) 4 commits
>  - reftable/blocksource: use mmap to read tables
>  - reftable/stack: use stat info to avoid re-reading stack list
>  - reftable/stack: refactor reloading to use file descriptor
>  - reftable/stack: refactor stack reloading to have common exit path
> 
>  Low-level I/O optimization for reftable.
> 
>  Will merge to 'next'?
>  source: <[email-masked]>

Let's wait a few days for reviews. I don't expect there to be a ton of
reviews from the usual contributors due to the still-limited knowledge
around reftables in our community. But I have been trying to rope in
fellow team members at GitLab to get their feet wet with reviewing
topics on the Git mailing list directly so that there is at least some
more pairs of eyes for the reftable-related topics (and eventually more
people who start to contribute to Git regularly).

Also, the optimizations I'm doing in the reftable library are generally
not part of the critical path to get the backend itself upstream, so I
don't mind waiting a bit longer for those to land.

Patrick