Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/6] t1300: mark tests to require default repo format

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 08:17:51 +0100

On Tue, Jan 09, 2024 at 02:35:29PM -0500, Eric Sunshine wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 9, 2024 at 7:17 AM Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > The t1300 test suite exercises the git-config(1) tool. To do so we
> > overwrite ".git/config" to contain custom contents. While this is easy
> > enough to do, it may create problems when using a non-default repository
> > format because we also overwrite the repository format version as well
> > as any potential extensions.
> >
> > Mark these tests with the DEFAULT_REPO_FORMAT prerequisite to avoid the
> > problem. An alternative would be to carry over mandatory config keys
> > into the rewritten config file. But the effort does not seem worth it
> > given that the system under test is git-config(1), which is at a lower
> > level than the repository format.
> 
> If I'm understanding correctly, with the approach taken by this patch,
> won't we undesirably lose some git-config test coverage if the
> file-based backend is ever retired, or if tests specific to it are
> ever disabled by default? As such, it seems like the alternative "fix"
> you mention above would be preferable to ensure that coverage of
> git-config doesn't get diluted.
> 
> Or am I misunderstanding something?

A valid remark indeed, even though this is thinking quite far into the
future. I'll investigate how much of a pain it would be to instead "do
the right thing" and retain the repositroy format version as well as
extensions.

Patrick