Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] git-prompt: stop manually parsing HEAD with unknown ref formats

From: Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 12:51:05 +0100

On Thu, Jan 04, 2024 at 09:21:53AM +0100, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
>--- a/contrib/completion/git-prompt.sh
>+++ b/contrib/completion/git-prompt.sh
>@@ -408,7 +408,7 @@ __git_ps1 ()
> 
> 	local repo_info rev_parse_exit_code
> 	repo_info="$(git rev-parse --git-dir --is-inside-git-dir \
>-		--is-bare-repository --is-inside-work-tree \
>+		--is-bare-repository --is-inside-work-tree --show-ref-format \
> 		--short HEAD 2>/dev/null)"
>
that makes me wonder whether adding support for `--symbolic-ref HEAD` 
here would not be the cleaner solution? and why stop there, and not add 
a few more ps1 would need, like --upstream and --sequencer-state?  
(though arguably, this overloading of `rev-parse` should be deprecated 
in favor of a new generalized `query` command, maybe even unified with 
`var`.)