Subject: Re: Migrate away from vger to GitHub or (on-premise) GitLab?

From: Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 16:12:02 +0100

On Fri, Feb 02, 2024 at 12:50:04PM +0100, Michal Suchánek wrote:
>Given the open nature of lore it should be feasible to provide
>additional interfaces on top of it that cater to people used to PRs
>on popular forge web UIs without hijacking the whole project and the
>existing tools and interfaces. For some reason people are set on
>replacing it as a whole, and removing the interfaces they personally
>don't use,

>calling them obosolete.
because they positively *are*.

when i started, patch-based code reviews were the norm, and i'm still
using them for my small project with almost no external contributions.

but after working with gerrit code review for over a decade, i find it
mind-boggling that people are still voluntarily subjecting themselves to
mail-based reviews for serious high-volume work.

it doesn't matter just how super-proficient you got with your old tools.
there is just no way you'll get anywhere near as efficient as you would
with the new ones, if you just were interested enough to learn them.
migrating the workflows that are worth keeping isn't such a bit deal.

i'll note that i don't consider github-like forges to be adequate tools
for serious work, as they seem to intentionally discourage producing
polished commits.
the gerrit project is unfortunately not interested in building a proper
forge, but luckily there is a bridge to github (hosted version available
at gerrithub.io).