Subject: Re: git bug

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 07:47:09 +0100

On Mon, Feb 05, 2024 at 12:42:03AM +0100, moti sd wrote:
> Dear Git Team,
> 
> I am writing to report a potential bug encountered while using the "git
> stash" command. The issue was observed during a troubleshooting. Please
> find the details below:
> 
> *Problem Description:*
> 
> The "git stash" command is not providing any feedback or indication of
> execution, even though modifications are present and the stash operation is
> attempted.
> *Steps to Reproduce:*
> 
> Make modifications to a file.
> Execute "git stash" to stash changes.
> *Expected Behavior:*
> 
> The "git stash" command should provide feedback on the stash operation,
> confirming whether it was successful or if there were any errors.
> *Additional Information:*
> The issue was initially observed when executing "git commit -a --amend" and
> pressing Ctrl+Z to exit. Subsequent attempts to use "git stash" resulted in
> an error.
> Testing with a provided ZIP file containing a problematic repository
> confirmed the issue's recurrence.
> *Investigation and Findings:*
> 
> Upon investigation, it was discovered that the use of Ctrl+Z after "git
> commit -a --amend" might be the root cause.
> Deleting a lock file left behind by the incomplete git command resolved the
> issue, indicating a potential bug in how "git stash" handles incomplete
> commands.
> *Recommendation:*

This is indeed it. The problem is that the index will be locked while
git-commit(1) is active, and thus git-stash(1) cannot write to it at the
same time. So this is working as designed. What's not though is the fact
that we don't print an error message.

I'll send a patch in reply to this message to fix this bug. Thanks for
your report!

Patrick