Subject: Re: [PATCH 19/22] t/t8*: merge "grep | sed" pipelines

From: Todd Zullinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:17:32 -0500

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Isn't -E a GNUism?
>
> At least,
> 
>     https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/sed.html
> 
> does not seem to have it (we may need to fix t6030 to rid its only
> existing use).

I _thought_ that -r was the GNUism.  The GNU sed-4.8 manpage
says:

    -E, -r, --regexp-extended
        use extended regular expressions in the script
        (for portability use POSIX -E).

That doesn't mean the man page is right, of course. :)

https://www.austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=528 suggests
that -E has been adopted and, importanly, is more widely
supported than -r (if we were considering using that rather
than rewriting this to not use ERE syntax).  MacOS in
particular supports -E but not -r, according to that link.

It seems like the documentation hasn't quite caught up to
reality yet, perhaps?

-- 
Todd