Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/8] builtin/config: introduce subcommands

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 19:13:00 -0500

On Wed, Mar 06, 2024 at 03:52:23PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > I don't have strong feelings about this, but I wonder if `--urlmatch`
> > (or `--url-match`) might be an argument to the "get" mode of this
> > sub-command instead. Something like `git config get --urlmatch` feels
> > much more natural to me than `git config get-urlmatch`.
>
> I like that, too.
>
> "--get-regexp" may also be a good candidate to be folded into the
> base verb "get", with "--regexp" option to tweak what kind of key is
> used.

Yes, definitely.

> Could "--get-color" and "--get-colorbool" become verb "get" with
> "--type=color"?  The other parameters they get are somewhat
> different from "get", so that may not work very well, I guess.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to not have a better suggestion, since I
vaguely remember working on the `--type` option as one of my first
contributions to the project.

Indeed: fb0dc3bac13 (builtin/config.c: support `--type=<type>` as
preferred alias for `--<type>`, 2018-04-18). ;-).

Thanks,
Taylor