Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/5] refs: make `is_pseudoref_syntax()` stricter

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 14:09:10 +0100

On Fri, Mar 15, 2024 at 11:05:41AM +0100, eugenio gigante wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 09:51:52 +0100 Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > We also have consider that there may be alternate implementations of Git
> > that would only know to handle the old layout. Those tools would be
> > broken in case we did such a migration, but they would be broken anyway
> > if the bisect was started via Git and not via the tool.
> 
> The first implementations that come to my mind are Jgit and libgit2.
> I took a look at these two and apparently there is no support for git-bisect.
> Maybe you are not referring to those.

I'm basically referring to everything that has wider use out there and
that knows to access Git repositories. I don't know about all the
implementations out there and whether they do or don't support
bisections. If they don't then this is great, because it makes it a ton
easier for us to argue why the proposed refactoring is okay to do.

> Also, do we care about several GUIs for git?

Many users do use graphical frontends, so we likely should investigate
how they'd behave, yes.

Patrick