Subject: Re: Git mirror at gitlab

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 01:44:31 +0100

On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 11:27:07PM +0100, Olliver Schinagl wrote:
> Hey all,
> 
> On March 21, 2024 5:34:25 p.m. GMT+01:00, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:
> >
> >>> Circling back on this topic: https://gitlab.com/git is unfortunately
> >>> taken, so it's out of question. I'd say the most pragmatic thing to do
> >>> would thus be to retain the already-existing location of the official
> >>> mirror at GitLab.
> >
> >https://gitlab.com/git/ sems to give us 404, though.
> >
> 
> That seems tot indicatie this is a user, not a group (gitlab is more
> advanced then github), but I could be wrong. In both cases the user
> has set this to private.
> 
> My guess is, someone set this up as a bot-user or something the like.
> Maybebgitlab could check activity (internally and confidentially) and
> see if the user would want to talk. But I admit is a bit hostile.
> Other we have no way of reaching out.

I checked with support folks and it is a private group if I remember
correctly. Whatever it was, it's not available right now.

> As for my mirror, I started my mail with I'd me more then happy to
> transfer ownership. The name I post cked as a reference to
> git-scm.org, and never intended to keep it for myself. As I initially
> wrote, I was just slow and lazy to sort thongs out ;)
> 
> I will transfer and relinquish any and all control of the group once I
> know to whom.

Okay, thanks, I didn't quite remember :) In any case, unless we get a
hold of git-vcs/git, we have two viable options:

  - gitvcs/git owned by Olliver.

  - git-scm/git. I just discovered a few hours ago that the git-scm
    group is owned by Chris, so we can set this one up easily.

I'd personally rather go with the latter, mostly because it matches our
git-scm.com domain. I also like it better than the current git-vcs/git
because of that.

So Chris, would you mind adding me (@pks-t, my non-GitLab handle) as an
additional owner of that group? I'd be happy to manage the rest from
there -- setup of the project, mirroring, CI system and changing our
docs to point to the new mirror.

Patrick