Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/3] reftable/stack: use geometric table compaction

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 07:34:18 +0200

On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 09:30:19PM +0200, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 12:12:32PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> > "Justin Tobler via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:
> > 
> > > This is the second version my patch series that refactors the reftable
> > > compaction strategy to instead follow a geometric sequence. Changes compared
> > > to v1:
> > >
> > >  * Added GIT_TEST_REFTABLE_NO_AUTOCOMPACTION environment variable to disable
> > >    reftable compaction when testing.
> > >  * Refactored worktree tests in t0610-reftable-basics.sh to properly assert
> > >    git-pack-refs(1) works as expected.
> > >  * Added test to validate that alternating table sizes are compacted.
> > >  * Added benchmark to compare compaction strategies.
> > >  * Moved change that made compaction segment end inclusive to its own
> > >    commit.
> > >  * Added additional explanation in commits and comments and fixed typos.
> > 
> > Has anybody took a look at recent failures with this series present
> > in 'seen' [*1*] and without [*2*] in osx-reftable jobs for t0610?
> > 
> > *1* https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/8543205866/job/23406512990
> > *2* https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/8543840764/job/23408543876
> 
> I noticed that both `seen` and `next` started to fail in the GitLab
> mirror today. Unless somebody else beats me to it I'll investigate
> tomorrow what causes these.

Things work on GitLab CI again, all pipelines are green there now. Which
probably also is because you have evicted this series from "seen". On
GitHub most of the failures I see are still related to the regression in
libcurl.

But your first link definitely is specific to the changes in this patch
series and comes from a bad interaction with "ps/pack-refs-auto". That
series added a few tests where the exact number of tables that exist is
now different.

Justin wanted to make that series a dependency anyway, so I assume that
he'll then address those issues.

Patrick