Subject: Re: [PATCH] RFC: add MAINTAINERS file

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 07:59:44 +0200

On Tue, Apr 02, 2024 at 01:46:22AM -0400, Eric Sunshine wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 1:40 AM Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > When it does know about both I also see myself using it more frequently
> > in the future. It would be nice if git-send-email(1)/git-format-patch(1)
> > had a switch `--cc-command=` or similar that you can pass the script to
> > so that To/Cc lines would be added automatically. The script then gets
> > the commit range as input and can decide based on whatever criteria whom
> > to Cc. To the best of my knowledge that is not currently possible.
> 
> I may be misunderstanding your statement, but this automated mode was
> exactly the original use-case. contrib/contacts/git-contacts.txt says
> this:
> 
>     This command can be useful for determining the list of people with
>     whom to discuss proposed changes, or for finding the list of
>     recipients to Cc: when submitting a patch series via `git
>     send-email`. For the latter case, `git contacts` can be used as
>     the argument to `git send-email`'s `--cc-cmd` option.

Ah. I myself use git-format-patch(1) and mutt(1) to send the resulting
patches, and that command doesn't know about `--cc-cmd`. But
git-send-email(1) in fact does, good to know. So my statement still
partially stands, and we might want to make `--cc-cmd` available in
git-format-patch(1), too.

Patrick