Subject: Re: [RFC][PATCH] t-prio-queue: simplify using compound literals

From: Josh Steadmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 14:23:57 -0700

On 2024.04.02 20:30, René Scharfe wrote:
> Test names like "basic" are mentioned seven times in the code (ignoring
> case): Twice when defining the input and result macros, thrice when
> defining the test function, and twice again when calling it.  Reduce
> that to a single time by using compound literals to pass the input and
> result arrays via TEST_INPUT to test_prio_queue().
> 
> Signed-off-by: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
> ---
> C99 added compound literals.  Are we ready to use them?
> 
> Test definitions become more compact, but look busier due to the added
> punctuation.  We could hide some of it with a sugary macro like this:
> #define INT_ARRAY(...) ((int []){ __VA_ARGS__ })

I definitely like this approach. Reading the original test involved a
lot of jumping around to see which TEST() checked which set of
arguments, now they're all right there in the TEST() call.

Agreed that an INT_ARRAY macro or similar would make it look a bit
nicer, but even without that I think this is a good improvement.

I am in favor of expanding our C99 usage, and ISTM that a unit test is a
friendlier test balloon than production code (although perhaps one that
is easier to miss).