Subject: Re: [PATCH 02/24] config: repo_config_get_expiry()

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 15:39:57 -0400

On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 01:54:32PM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> > This function will gain its first caller in a subsequent commit to parse
> > a "threshold" parameter for excluding too-recent commits from
> > pseudo-merge groups.
>
> So presumably you call approxidate() there in that new caller. Looks
> like that would be patch 10. But I don't see a call to the new function
> at all! It just uses git_config_expiry_date(), which does what you need
> (it doesn't use the configset, but it looks like you ended up doing a
> config callback approach anyway).
>
> So can this patch be dropped?

Wow, yes, definitely -- this patch can be absolutely dropped.

I suspect what happened here is that this patch is a relic from before I
introduced pseudo-merge.c::pseudo_merge_config(), which is a standard
callback for `git_config()`.

I *think* the reason for the change is that I wanted to use the
parse_config_key() function to parse different named pseudo-merge groups
separately. The idea of having multiple named pseudo-merge groups was
introduced after I wrote this patch, and I suspect that I never realized
that this patch could be dropped as a result.

Thanks for catching, I can cleanly just drop this patch from the series
and everything works as expected.

Thanks,
Taylor