Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] docs: document upcoming breaking changes

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 13:36:39 +0200

On Wed, May 08, 2024 at 05:59:01PM +0200, Dragan Simic wrote:
> Hello Patrick,
> 
> On 2024-05-08 15:54, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> > Okay, I see how that may make sense for some parts. I guess one of the
> > motivations here is things like git-checkout(1) and git-switch(1) /
> > git-restore(1)?
> 
> As I wrote already, [1] I really see no reasons why git-switch(1) or
> git-restore(1) should be deprecated.  That would make zero sense to me.
> 
> [1]
> https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Note that the discussion here is the other way round: whether we want to
eventually deprecate tools like git-checkout(1) that have newer
replacements. Junio argues that there being a replacement is not by
itself a good enough reason to eventually remove the old one, which I'm
fine with.

Patrick