Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 10/23] pack-bitmap-write.c: select pseudo-merge commits

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 13:47:13 +0200

On Mon, May 06, 2024 at 04:05:38PM -0400, Taylor Blau wrote:
> On Mon, May 06, 2024 at 01:53:07PM +0200, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> > I think the same is true for most of the other parts of the docs here,
> > as well. We explain what those configs do, but basically leave the
> > reader on their own to figure out what the real-world consequences are
> > and why they would even want to configure those in the first place.
> 
> I think that's a fair point, and I'm in the same boat as you are to a
> large extent. I have an idea of what these settings do and why you
> might want to set them, but since there is no real-world deployment of
> this series, I don't have any solid guidelines on when you
> should/shouldn't set these settings.
> 
> My hope is that there are enough knobs to tweak here that anyone
> deploying this feature could find a configuration that works for them.
> 
> But I'll try and add some general guidance on why you would want to
> change certain settings, etc.

Fair enough, I can certainly relate to that. It's also the same for me
in my patch series that introduces config knobs for the reftable writer
[1]. I have of course benchmarked things, but benchmarking only goes so
far and thus isn't quite reflective of the real world.

Patrick

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/