Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 00/14] builtin/config: introduce subcommands

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2024 06:07:15 +0200

On Mon, May 06, 2024 at 04:38:59PM -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
> On Monday, May 6, 2024 4:22 PM, Taylor Blau wrote:
> >On Mon, May 06, 2024 at 10:55:51AM +0200, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> this is the fifth and hopefully last version of my patch sthat
> >> introduces subcommands into git-config(1).
> >>
> >> The only changes compared to v4 are some fixes to commit messages.
> >> Otherwise I'm not aware of any other feedback that would need to be
> >> addressed.
> >
> >Thanks for the new round. I took a close look through the series, and couldn't see
> >any remaining issues. I appreciate the translation guide you included in the
> >documentation to indicate "git config --add" is replaced by things like "git config set
> >--append".
> 
> Please make sure that there is a compatibility mode available for some
> large period. There are huge numbers of scripts in the customer base I
> deal with that use config extensively. Changing the CLI for this will
> be dire consequences.

Yes, that's a very sensible thing to ask for. I think the bare minimum
we should aim for is a year (4 releases), where two years (8 releases)
feels a bit more sensible. Do you feel like that is reasonable, or do
you think it would be too short?

Patrick