Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 5/5] gitlab-ci: add whitespace error check

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2024 20:12:35 +0200

On Tue, May 07, 2024 at 01:06:04PM -0500, Justin Tobler wrote:
> On 24/05/07 06:12AM, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
>  
> > I just wondered how GitHub Workflows manages without installing any
> > dependencies at all. Is Git already part of the default images? If so,
> > there is no need to install anything and we can just execute the script
> > directly, which saves some time.
> 
> Git is not bundled by default in the "ubuntu:latest" container image. We
> would have to install it ourselves. As for why GitHub Workflows do not
> have to install Git, it looks like each runner has a defined set of
> included software which happens to include Git.

Okay.

> https://github.com/actions/runner-images/blob/ubuntu22/20240422.1/images/ubuntu/Ubuntu2204-Readme.md
> 
> > If there is a need to install Git we could either just manually install
> > it in the `before_script` or leave it as-is. I don't mind it much either
> > way.
> 
> I don't have strong opinions, but I think I would prefer to leave it
> as-is and reuse `ci/install-dependencies.sh`. I'll forgo sending another
> version unless there is addional feedback. Thanks

Fair enough. Let's not overthink this then and get this merged.

Patrick