Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 07/10] refs: root refs can be symbolic refs

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2024 06:39:52 +0200

On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 06:16:18AM +0200, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> On Fri, May 03, 2024 at 02:13:39PM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> > On Thu, May 02, 2024 at 10:17:42AM +0200, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
[snip]
> > And arguably is_pseudoref_syntax() should be taking into account the
> > "_HEAD" restriction and special names anyway. It is a bit weird that
> > even if we tighten up the refname checking to use is_pseudoref_syntax(),
> > you'd still be able to "git update-ref FOO" but then not see it as a
> > root ref!
> 
> True, as well. I'm less comfortable with doing that change in this
> series though as it does impose a major restriction that did not exist
> previously. We probably want some escape hatches so that it would still
> be possible to modify those refs when really required, for example to
> delete such broken refs.
> 
> I would thus like to defer this to a follow up patch series, if you
> don't mind.

Arguably, we don't need `is_pseudoref_syntax()` (which is being renamed
to `is_root_ref_syntax()`) at all anymore after this series lands
because it can be neatly rolled into `is_root_ref()`. The only caller,
`is_current_worktree_ref()`, should really call `is_roof_ref()` and not
`is_root_ref_syntax()`.

But again, I'll defer this to a follow-up patch series.

Patrick