Subject: Re: [GSoC] Welcoming our 2024 contributors and thanking our applicants

From: shejialuo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2024 18:04:59 +0800

Hi Everyone:

On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 11:19:34AM +0200, Christian Couder wrote:
> Hi Chandra, Ghanshyam and Jialuo,
> 
> On Wed, May 8, 2024 at 6:01 AM Kaartic Sivaraam
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > As you may be aware, the results for GSoC 2024 have been officially
> > announced[1]. We have 3 contributors contributing to Git this year[2].
> 
> Please let us know if you would like a call or some other kind of
> meeting with only your mentors or with the wider Git community. It
> could be on a regular schedule (like every few weeks) or not. It could
> be a special Slack channel with us and perhaps others who would ask us
> to be invited in it. We could also use this thread or other emails
> threads either with or without the mailing list in Cc to discuss
> things if you prefer.
> 

I've had meetings with my mentors Patrick and Karthik this week. We've
set up bi-weekly video meetings for syncing. I think it's good to create
a Slack channel where we could help each other for some general problems
thus improving the productivity and also establishing a good
relationship.

> We are suggesting this because the GSoC docs
> (https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/help/oa-tips) have the
> following:
> 
> "Have a virtual introductory meeting with all of the accepted GSoC
> contributors and mentors in May to help welcome everyone and help them
> feel more like part of the community. This is something GSoC
> contributors appreciate and ask for every year in their feedback, more
> orgs should try this."
> 
> and in an email to mentors and org admins we were also told to "Set up
> an introduction/welcome meeting with all of your GSoC contributors and
> mentors (and other community members when possible)".
> 

I think it's nice to have a virtual introductory meeting with all of the
accepted GSoC contributors and mentors thus we could know each other
more.

> Also please be aware that if we setup something, you might help each
> other on that channel, but you should not really work together on the
> same things as https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/selecting-a-student
> for example says:
> 
> "Don’t select multiple people for the same project idea: If two GSoC
> contributors are working on the exact same project then they are
> competing with each other. Likewise, don’t make one person’s project
> dependent on another person’s project, that essentially makes it a
> team project which is not allowed or in the best interest of the GSoC
> contributors."
> 
> Also feel free to reply to this privately to your mentors if you prefer.
> 
> Best!

Thanks