Subject: Re: [PATCH] t/t9902-completion.sh: backslashes in echo

From: Marcel Telka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2024 00:39:05 +0200

On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 11:47:13PM +0200, Marcel Telka wrote:
> Interesting.  I came to this issue because the test failed here due to
> the echo.  So apparently the re-run under bash didn't happen here for
> some reason or bash's echo behaved differently?  I need to dig into it
> again to find what's going on.

Okay, I found the cause.  Bash on OpenIndiana is compiled with
--enable-xpg-echo-default so escape sequencies are expanded by default.

> OTOH, it seems that the fix is maybe not needed because it is solving a
> non-problem.

There is a problem, but definitely the justification in the commit
message is not accurate because we do not care about POSIX here at all.
Also maybe it would be better/simpler to use `echo -E` instead of
`printf`, but I'm not sure here.

Thanks.

-- 
+-------------------------------------------+
| Marcel Telka   e-mail:   [email-masked]  |
|                homepage: http://telka.sk/ |
+-------------------------------------------+