Subject: Re: [PATCH] add-patch: response to unknown command

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2024 09:03:08 +0200

On Tue, May 21, 2024 at 02:37:54AM +0200, Rubén Justo wrote:
> In 26998ed2a2 (add-patch: response to unknown command, 2024-04-29) we
> introduced an error message that displays the invalid command entered by
> the user.
> 
> We process a line received from the user, but we only accept
> single-character commands.
> 
> To avoid confusion, include in the error message only the first
> character received.

I'm a bit on the edge here. Is it really less confusing if we confront
the user with a command that they have never even provided in the first
place? They implicitly specified the first letter, only, but the user
first needs to be aware that we discard everything but the first letter
in the first place.

Is it even sensible that we don't complain about trailing garbage in the
user's answer? Shouldn't we rather fix that and make the accepted
answers more strict, such that if the response is longer than a single
character we point that out?

Patrick