Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/8] midx-write: miscellaneous clean-ups for incremental MIDXs

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 10:28:18 +0200

On Thu, May 30, 2024 at 03:14:32AM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> On Wed, May 29, 2024 at 06:55:15PM -0400, Taylor Blau wrote:
> 
> > This is a small reroll of my series which has a grab-bag of midx-write
> > related cleanups that I pulled out of a larger series to implement
> > incremental MIDX chains.
> 
> These all look pretty reasonable to me. Thanks for breaking them off of
> the larger series. I think it's generally nice to get things in smaller
> chunks.
> 
> Sometimes it is a little tough to evaluate refactorings without seeing
> the larger context in which they'd be used. But all of these were either
> immediate improvements, or didn't take much imagination to see where
> they'd make later things easier.

I've read through the range-diff and didn't spot anything unexpected
there. So this version looks good from my point of view, thanks.

And I very much agree that it's nice to split out smaller topics like
this. I think it's okay to send patch series that have dozens of commits
when most of the commits are trivial. But the changes in the MIDX aren't
that and require the reviewer to dive deep. For me this has the result
that I need an hour or more on such large patch series to review them.
And because I often do not find the time for that I push them onto my
pile of shame of stuff that I do want to review.

I get though that this isn't always easy, and in any case it's a
tradeoff.

Patrick