Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] ci: fix check for Ubuntu 20.04

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2024 09:44:37 +0200

On Thu, Jun 06, 2024 at 02:53:28AM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 06, 2024 at 08:30:25AM +0200, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> 
> > In 5ca0c455f1 (ci: fix Python dependency on Ubuntu 24.04, 2024-05-06),
> > we made the use of Python 2 conditional on whether or not the CI job
> > runs Ubuntu 20.04. There was a brown-paper-bag-style bug though, where
> > the condition forgot to invoke the `test` builtin. The result of it is
> > that the check always fails, and thus all of our jobs run with Python 3
> > by accident.
> > 
> > Fix this.
> 
> Yikes. This looks obviously correct. Though I guess nobody noticed or
> cared that we were not using python 2? It sounds like it is a
> nice-to-have to get more coverage, but the platform in question is happy
> to use python 3).

Yeah, the reason for this check really only is to get more coverage
while Python 2 is still available on some of the distros that users may
reasonably use. It's kind of a best effort check to keep it compatible,
even though we will likely eventually drop that guarantee once Python 2
is getting phased out by distros.

Patrick