Subject: Re: [PATCH 07/16] mktree: use read_index_info to read stdin lines

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2024 11:40:34 +0200

On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 06:24:39PM +0000, Victoria Dye via GitGitGadget wrote:
> diff --git a/Documentation/git-mktree.txt b/Documentation/git-mktree.txt
> index 383f09dd333..507682ed23e 100644
> --- a/Documentation/git-mktree.txt
> +++ b/Documentation/git-mktree.txt
> @@ -13,15 +13,13 @@ SYNOPSIS
>  
>  DESCRIPTION
>  -----------
> -Reads standard input in non-recursive `ls-tree` output format, and creates
> -a tree object.  The order of the tree entries is normalized by mktree so
> -pre-sorting the input is not required.  The object name of the tree object
> -built is written to the standard output.
> +Reads entry information from stdin and creates a tree object from those entries.
> +The object name of the tree object built is written to the standard output.

It makes perfect sense to not single out git-ls-tree(1) anymore. But I
think we should help the reader a bit by continuing to point out which
commands can be used as input here. That can be either here in the
description, further down in the new "INPUT FORMAT" section, or in both
places.

Patrick