Subject: Re: [GSoC][PATCH v7 1/9] fsck: rename "skiplist" to "oid_skiplist"

From: shejialuo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2024 20:06:41 +0800

On Fri, Jul 05, 2024 at 05:07:29PM -0500, Justin Tobler wrote:
> On 24/07/03 09:56PM, shejialuo wrote:
> > Because we introduce ref consistency check. The original "skiplist" is a
> > common option which is set up during handling user configs. To avoid
> > causing ambiguity, rename "skiplist" to "oid_skiplist".
> 
> I think the commit message could be expanded on to provide additional
> context and reasoning for the change. From reading this alone, it sounds
> like we have already introduced the ref consistency check and are now
> looking to rename a variable. When really this is a preparatory change.
> Without reading ahead, I'm also left wondering why this name change
> reduces ambiguity.
> 

Yes, I will add more information to show the context. "skiplist" is
initialized using "git_fsck_config" to parse the user-specific config.
In this series, we introduce ref-specific check. "skiplist" is a general
name which may make the caller think "skiplist" is related to both the
refs and objects.

For later implementation, we may also introduce "skiplist" for refs, but
for refs, we concern about the name not the "oidset". I will add more
information to explain how this change reduces ambiguity.

Thanks,
Jialuo