Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] Documentation: add platform support policy

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2024 11:02:01 +0200

On Thu, Jul 18, 2024 at 10:38:43AM -0700, Emily Shaffer wrote:
> +* If you rely on Git avoiding a specific pattern that doesn't work well with
> +  your platform (like a certain malloc pattern), raise it on the mailing list.
> +  There are a few ways to avoid these breakages, so we'll work case-by-case to
> +  find a solution that doesn't unnecessarily constrain other platforms to keep
> +  compatibility with yours.

I found the latter part of this bullet point a bit weird. We don't yet
know about the specific pattern that may fail on any future supported
platform, so claiming that there are ways to avoid them goes a bit too
far, no?

> +** Include a comment with an expiration date for these tests no more than 1 year
> +   from now. You can update the expiration date if your platform still needs
> +   that assurance down the road, but we need to know you still care about that
> +   compatibility case and are working to make it unnecessary.

Do we maybe want to replace "from now" with "from when you add them"?

Other than that this document looks great to me, thanks!

Patrick