Subject: Re: [PATCH v1 00/10] cat-file speedups

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2024 10:35:38 +0200

On Mon, Jul 15, 2024 at 12:35:09AM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> This continues the work of Jeff King and my initial work to
> speed up cat-file --batch(-contents)? users in
> https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/T/
> 
> There's more speedups I'm working on, but this series touches
> on the work Jeff and I have already published.
> 
> I've started putting some Perl5 + Inline::C benchmarks with
> several knobs up at: git clone https://80x24.org/misc-git-benchmarks.git
> 
> I've found it necessary to use schedtool(1) on Linux to pin all
> processes to a single CPU on multicore systems.
> 
> Some patches make more sense for largish objects, some for
> smaller objects.  Small objects (several KB) were my main focus,
> but I figure 5/10 could help with some pathological big cases
> and also open the door to expanding the use of caching down the
> line.
> 
> 10/10 actually ended up being more significant than I originally
> anticipated for repeat lookups of the same objects (common for
> web frontends getting hammered).
> 
> Jeff: I started writing commit messages for your patches (1 and
> 2), but there's probably better explanations you could do :>

I definitely think that most of the commit messages could use some
deeper explanations. I had quite a hard time to figure out the idea
behind the commits because the messages only really talk about what they
are doing, but don't mention why they are doing it or why the
transformations are safe.

It might also help with attracting more folks to review this patch
series if things have better explanations :)

Patrick