Subject: Re: [PATCH v1 02/10] packfile: allow content-limit for cat-file

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2024 10:35:49 +0200

On Mon, Jul 15, 2024 at 12:35:11AM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
> 
> This avoids unnecessary round trips to the object store to speed

Same comment regarding "this". Despite not being self-contained, I also
think that the commit message could do a better job of explaining what
the problem is that you're fixing in the first place. Right now, I'm
left second-guessing what the idea is that this patch has to make
git-cat-file(1) faster.

> up cat-file contents retrievals.  The majority of packed objects
> don't benefit from the streaming interface at all and we end up
> having to load them in core anyways to satisfy our streaming
> API.
> 
> This drops the runtime of
> `git cat-file --batch-all-objects --unordered --batch' from
> ~7.1s to ~6.1s on Jeff's machine.

It would be nice to get some more context here for the benchmark. Most
importantly, what kind of repository did this run in? Otherwise it is
going to be next to impossible to get remotely comparable results.

Patrick