Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] Introduce a "promisor-remote" capability

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2024 12:17:38 -0400

On Wed, Jul 31, 2024 at 03:40:10PM +0200, Christian Couder wrote:
> I have tried to implement it in a quite generic way that could allow S
> and C to share more information about promisor remotes and how to use
> them.
>
> For now C doesn't use the information it gets from S when cloning.
> That information is only used to decide if C is Ok to use the promisor
> remotes advertised by S. But this could change which could make it
> much simpler for clients than using the current way of passing
> information about X with the `-c` option of `git clone` many times on
> the command line.

I left a review after carefully reading these patches. I had a couple of
technical questions and suggestions of things to change.

But it's hard to have a definite opinion about the feature overall
without seeing how it is used in practice. I didn't see anything that
made me concerned, though, so I think this is a worthwhile experimental
feature.

Thanks,
Taylor