Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/4] strbuf: refactor strbuf_trim_trailing_ch()

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2024 17:49:47 -0400

On Wed, Jul 31, 2024 at 10:29:00AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> > Let's introduce a new strbuf_trim_trailing_ch() function that can be
> > used to remove any trailing character, and let's refactor existing code
> > that manually removed trailing characters using this new function.
>
> It is disappointing that this new one is not adequate to rewrite any
> of the existing strbuf_trim* functions in terms of it, but that's
> probably OK.

I don't think it's possible without some awkwardness. strbuf_[lr]trim()
both trim characters for which isspace(c) is true, and this new function
only trims a single character (also from the right-hand side of the
string, so strbuf_ltrim() would not be a candidate[^1]).

Likewise for strbuf_trim_trailing_dir_sep(), which uses the
platform-dependent is_dir_sep(). strbuf_trim_trailing_newline() is also
complicated because it only removes '\n' or '\r\n' from the end of a
buffer, but not a lone '\r' character.

Thanks,
Taylor

[^1]: Unless you had a function to swap the order of the underlying
  buffer, then call the trim function on the right-hand side, before
  swapping it back. But that's obviously disgusting and clearly a bad
  idea.