Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 04/19] midx: teach `prepare_midx_pack()` about incremental MIDXs

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2024 15:00:37 -0400

On Thu, Aug 01, 2024 at 05:35:50AM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> OK, I'm adequately prepared for more global/local confusion. :)

Good, since there is definitely more where that came from ;-).

> I guess if you just reused pack_int_id for the local id, the diff would
> be much smaller (this part would remain exactly the same). I dunno which
> is better, but it was a little curious that the two patches differed in
> approach. Probably not worth caring too much about, though.

I meandered a lot about different approaches before I arrived at what
became midx_for_pack() and midx_for_object(). So I think declaring a new
local_pack_int_id was a relic from when perhaps the function returned
void and expected to have a uint32_t* to write the translated pack ID
to.

Later translations make use of the:

     pack_int_id = midx_for_pack(&m, pack_int_id);

pattern when they do not care about the global pack ID, and this one
should as well. I'll update the patch to do that.

Thanks,
Taylor