Subject: Re: [PATCH 05/10] t-reftable-block: use block_iter_reset() instead of block_iter_close()

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2024 11:40:57 +0200

On Wed, Aug 14, 2024 at 05:33:13PM +0530, Chandra Pratap wrote:
> block_iter_reset() restores a block iterator to its state at the time
> of initialization without freeing any memory while block_iter_close()
> deallocates the memory for the iterator.
> 
> In the current testing setup, a block iterator is allocated and
> deallocated for every iteration of a loop, which hurts performance.
> Improve upon this by using block_iter_reset() at the start of each
> iteration instead. This has the added benifit of testing
> block_iter_reset(), which currently remains untested.

I don't think that performance is a good argument, but exercising the
reset function certainly is.

> Similarly, remove reftable_record_release() for a reftable record
> that is still in use.

This is a welcome change, too, to verify that reading into the same
record multiple times does not leak memory and otherwise works as
expected.

Patrick